Rollin on the River

 
As much as I truly love to travel the world and discover new places, the same burning sense of adventure flares up within me on the weekends that we are stuck at home for one reason or another. You know, when you just want to GO somewhere or DO something. It's the very sense of longing that led me to my love of hiking in the Rockies before we took on the mighty Kilimanjaro in 2014. 
 
 
Then last year we discovered river surfing! Hello hydraulic engineering at it's finest...I mean, I may have uncovered my true calling as a water resources engineer (I knew it had to be in there somewhere). Dave says the best part is that it's literally in our backyard (...for the record, I think the best part is that its $f-r-e-e.99...unlike his other lovers snowboarding, golfing and hockey). So now, when we get that itch to fly somewhere coastal, and lets face it...that itch bugs us a lot, we can save a dime and head to K-country. 

Heaven for the landlocked.
 
 
We headed out again last weekend, with our friend DP. Of course Davey an Dan took to it like a fish to water (haha). Don't get me wrong, it is tough! Full on upper and lower body strength, solid core, sick balance and some serious body heat to brave the icy blue water. But dang is it fun to forget you live in the prairies for a day.
 
 
I gave it a go last year and yes, I classified getting on all fours on the board as surfing haha. This time around I stuck to picture taking because, well, I know where my strengths lie and they are not in the river...yet. Ill work on that.
 
I'm still semi-worked up over the fact that I floated half way down the course and had to boogie board down a rapid after celebrating a bit too long on my victorious ride last year. It was a mix of shocked, stoked and not exactly thinking too hard about exiting the current to the correct side of the river, so you know there's that. But I also forgot to mention that the group of people out there are so so friendly and nice, including my coach and the other guy that came to my rescue. I was fine, really, but thanks.
 




 

 
 We did a hike to Galatea Lakes the next day, and by the end of the weekend my feet were tired but my happiness tank was full. If you are anything like us and love any excuse to find the crisp, fresh air outside of the city limits, this will give you your fix. Guaranteed!


On a little footnote, I'm committed to finallllllyyyyy blogging again, so there are many recent and not-so-recent adventures coming your way. Shout out to my mom and sisters who I think may be the only people to read this blog *fist bump* 
xo Tegs

Share:

0 comments

Featured Post

Jamaican Me Crazy